We’re often asked by clients and potential clients, “What should I be thinking about now?” or “What are some things I can be doing now to help set me up well for the future?”
We put together checklists for your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s to help you navigate each stage of life, identify and plan for your goals, and put a solid plan in place so you feel confident about your finances.
Checklist: Financial Planning In Your 40s
- Work with a financial professional to set up a retirement savings strategy and keep it on track
- Make sure the investments in your retirement plan or IRA are still appropriate for goals
- Review your insurance policies to make sure they still cover your needs
- Update your beneficiaries on your insurance and financial accounts
- Look into options for covering long-term care costs
Questions to think about:
- How do I find balance amongst the cycle of spending and saving?
- Is my emergency fund adequate for the stage of life I’m in?
- What do I need to think about if my parents start to need help?
- Are there ways I can reduce my debt and am I paying off the right debt first?
- How much should I be saving?
- How should my 401(k) be invested?
- When’s the last time I reviewed my estate plan?
- What kind of life insurance do I need?
- What’s the best way to be saving for my child’s college education?
How we can help:
If you would like help thinking through any of the above topics, please reach out to an advisor. We’re here to help as you navigate each stage of life.
- Checklist: Financial Planning in Your 20s
- Checklist: Financial Planning in Your 30s
- Checklist: Financial Planning in Your 50s
- Checklist: Financial Planning in Your 60s