I am embarrassed to admit that I did not realize until yesterday that Tuesday marked Teacher Appreciation Day and that this is Teacher Appreciation week as well. My family and I think many families have a new appreciation for just how hard it is to be a teacher. Don’t get me wrong, I love my kids and enjoy the opportunity to teach them and help with their education. However, I am more certain than ever that I was not blessed with the skills required to be a great kindergarten teacher.
I am blessed to work with many teachers and former teachers. To all of you, THANK YOU! Both our company and my family believe strongly in the power of education. My best teachers shaped and changed my life. To do that year after year is more than just a profession, it is a gift to society. See how poetic I get after having my kids home from school for over a month?!
I have been struggling to keep my kids occupied and there are only so many walks that we can take. Some of my professional networks have passed along great resources to utilize during this extended period of time at home. They have helped us stay occupied without having to do much of the work – as we all need a little break these days.
Here is a short list of some good resources that I wanted to share with you:
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Virtual Farm
- Museums, Operas and Symphonies
- 12 Museums Offering Virtual Tours
- National Parks Tours
- Brainchild – Science-based show answers questions that kids ask
- Dream Big – Explores the world’s biggest engineering achievements
- If I Were An Animal – Follow different animals as they age from birth into adulthood
- Night On Earth – Nightlife of nocturnal animals
- Dangerous Animals – Deadliest animals on earth
- Explained – 20 minute episodes explaining various topics
Bottom Line: I hope you find these helpful and that you and your families are staying happily occupied, healthy and safe. Thank you again to our teachers and all of the parents who are suddenly faced with the challenge of teaching from home.Carroll Cares, Financial Literacy